- Practice Areas
- Criminal Defense Attorney in Philadelphia
- Special Education Law
- Election Law
- General Litigation
- Contact Us
- Free Consultation
If someone has accused you or your loved one of rape or sexual assault, consider hiring a rape defense lawyer serving Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as quickly as possible. The legal system is often confusing and unfriendly to those with no legal experience. You may find it easier to navigate this system with a vigorous advocate on your side.
Our team at the Law Offices of M.J. Snyder has handled thousands of cases for clients facing various charges. The sooner you retain legal representation, the sooner we can start putting a case together and figuring out the best way to defend you.
A Rape Defense Lawyer Can Improve Your Odds of Avoiding a Rape Conviction in Philadelphia
At the Law Offices of M.J. Snyder, we truly believe that everyone is innocent until proven guilty and that everyone deserves the most rigorous defense. Here is a brief synopsis of how we can fight for you.
We Will Investigate Your Case and Gather Strong Evidence to Support Your Defense
The prosecution has and will continue to gather evidence against you. Meanwhile, we will collect evidence to undermine the prosecution’s story and prove your innocence. Such evidence may include:
- Eye witness and character witness statements
- Expert witness evaluations and reports
- Phone and social media records
- Medical records
The evidence we find may help convince a judge or jury that you did not or could not have committed the crime for which you were accused. At the very least, it may introduce reasonable doubt in the jury’s mind; by law, that is all you need to do to avoid a conviction.
We can also move to suppress any evidence that the prosecution collected illegally—for example, by searching your home, car, phone, or person without probable cause or a warrant. We are committed to protecting your rights and ensuring that you don’t get bulldozed by the legal system.
We Will Advocate for You Both in and Out of Court
In some cases, we can negotiate a plea or even get the charges against you dropped. If that happens, your case will not go to trial. If a trial becomes necessary, we will prepare to present your case to a judge or jury. Our firm is always ready and willing to go to court if necessary. Among other things, we will:
- Prepare witnesses
- Put together trial exhibits
- File timely motions
- Participate in jury selection
- Question and cross-examine all witnesses
- Make opening and closing remarks
- Argue for acquittal
- File appeals
No task is too big or too small for us to handle. With the Law Offices of M.J. Snyder on the job, you do not have to deal with any aspect of your case alone.
We Will Guide You Through the Legal Process from Start to Finish
We understand how difficult it is to have such serious charges hanging over you. Your attorney from our firm will guide you through the legal process by:
- Responding to all of your queries and concerns
- Providing an honest assessment of your case with a professional perspective
- Explaining your rights and legal options at every step
- Helping you to make the best possible decisions
- Updating you about your case’s progress
While we honestly evaluate your case and do the legal work, we still work for you. Instead of making legal decisions on our own, we empower our clients to organize their priorities and make important legal decisions. Anytime you need guidance or clarification, just pick up the phone. We will answer your questions quickly and efficiently.
For a free legal consultation with a rape defense lawyer serving Philadelphia, call 215-515-3360
Rape Convictions Have Serious Consequences
According to 18 Pa. C.S.A §3121, rape can take many forms. These include but are not limited to:
- Using force or the threat of force on the victim
- Drugging the victim before having sex with them
- Having sex with someone who is unconscious or otherwise incapable of granting consent
Each of these crimes classifies as a first-degree felony. Of the three types of felonies (first, second, and third-degree), first-degree felonies are the most serious and carry the harshest penalties.
Penalties Associated with a Rape Conviction
If convicted of rape, you could, according to Chapter 11 of 18 Pa. C.S.A., face:
- Fines: In addition to a maximum fine of $25,000.Prison time: The maximum sentence is 20 years in prison. Your sentence will depend on your sentencing guidelines.
- An order to make restitution: If the victim suffered injuries because of the assault, the court may order you to pay them compensation.
A Rape Conviction Can Change Your Life Forever
Even after you have paid all fines and served your prison sentence, you may find it more difficult to:
- Keep your job: A long prison sentence and the stigma of a rape conviction may prompt your employer to fire you.
- Find a new job: Some employers do not want to hire individuals with a criminal record, especially when the crime is as serious as rape.
- Find a place to live: You may be required to register with the state sex offender registry, and the Pennsylvania Sex Offenders Assessment Board (SOAB) will notify your neighbors of your conviction.
- Keep your family together: Even close relatives may take your conviction as a sign of guilt. They may refuse to see you or allow you to see younger relatives.
- Stay afloat financially: The substantial fees and fines associated with rape convictions, as well as the time you spend away from work while in prison, could permanently destroy your economic stability.
- Rebuild your life: The mental, physical, and financial strain of trying to pick up the pieces after a rape conviction are often devastating.
These penalties are scary, but you do not have to face them alone. Law Offices of M.J. Snyder stands ready to help you avoid a conviction and all of the consequences that come with it.
Philadelphia Rape Defense Lawyer 215-515-3360
Let the Attorneys at the Law Offices of M.J. Snyder Defend You
A rape defense lawyer can help you with your Philadelphia case. M.J. Snyder is a nationally recognized trial lawyer who fights vigorously for her clients.
Call the Law Offices of M.J. Snyder to receive a free case review from a member of our team. We can take your call whenever you need us, day or night.