- Practice Areas
- Contact Us
- Free Consultation
Being arrested on assault charges can make you vulnerable to harsh penalties if convicted. This can drastically harm your immediate and distant future. If you or someone you love was arrested on assault charges in Philadelphia, our criminal defense team will help you protect your personal, professional, and social reputation. We can also help you build a solid defense that minimizes your potential penalties and lets you get back to your life, career, and family, especially if you acted in self-defense.
When we represent you, we help you prove your arrest was flawed or unlawful, the police lacked probable cause, or that you were not read your rights in full or at all before interrogation. We also review additional defense strategies that can lead to having the charges against you dismissed or reduced. When you are ready to fight for your future, our assault defense attorney is ready to fight right beside you.
Types of Philadelphia Assault Cases Our Team Handles
In Philadelphia, you can be charged with two forms of assault – simple and aggravated. In addition, each type of assault can have additional charges, including weapons offenses, robbery charges, reckless endangerment, or more. As part of our defense strategy, we make sure your charges are clear, accurate, and reflect what actually happened that led to your arrest.
Crimes are graded according to their severity. The penalties you face will vary according to how the assault is graded based on the circumstances of the alleged crimes. Your previous criminal history, additional charges, and any possible enhanced sentencing standards will determine the potential extent and severity of the conviction.
Simple Assault Charges
Under 18 Pa. C.S.A. § 2701, you can be charged with simple assault if you intentionally injured another person or persons. If you brandished a weapon, threatened, or menaced someone, or attempted to injure a member of law enforcement with a hypodermic needle, you can also be charged with simple assault.
Aggravated Assault Charges
Per 18 Pa. C.S.A. § 2702, you can be charged with aggravated assault if you injured someone with extreme indifference to the value of their life. If you knowingly injure certain officials, brandish a deadly weapon, injure, or threaten to injure a school or school board staff member or another Department of Education employee, you can also be charged with aggravated assault. Many other factors can determine which type of assault you are charged with.
For a free legal consultation, call 215.515.3360
Penalties for Assault Charges
The penalties of conviction on assault charges can separate you from your family and friends. It can also mean significant fines. In Philadelphia, simple assault is a misdemeanor, and its penalties can include:
- Up to five years of confinement and up to $10,000 in fines for a first-degree misdemeanor
- Up to two years of confinement and up to $5,000 in fines for penalties for a second-degree misdemeanor
- Up to a year of confinement and up to $2,000 in fines for the penalties for a third-degree misdemeanor
Aggravated assault, a more serious crime, is graded as a felony. Its penalties can include:
- Up to 20 years of imprisonment for a first-degree felony
- Up to 10 years of imprisonment for a second-degree felony
Each felony conviction also includes fines of up to $25,000. When we represent you, we fight hard to minimize these penalties and build a solid defense that allows you a second chance.
Other Penalties You Could Face for Assault Charges
If you are found guilty of assault, you may face more than just the legal repercussions. Several areas of your life could be affected, including your professional life, social life, and academic career. For example:
- You may have trouble finding or keeping a job: Some employers may discriminate against you if you have a criminal record.
- You might lose any licenses you hold: Often, professional licenses are revoked if you are convicted.
- You may have trouble in your social or family life: Your friends and family may not look at you the same if they know you were found guilty of assault charges. Also, you may have problems gaining custody of your children.
- You could lose certain academic privileges: Scholarships or memberships to any campus organizations may be revoked.
- You might not be able to secure housing: Some apartments and neighborhoods may not accept your application if they know you are a criminal.
When you work with a lawyer, they can help you avoid these penalties. They can create a defense strategy that allows you to remain out of jail, keeping your personal life protected.
You do Not Have to Face Assault Charges and Penalties Alone
After an arrest, you only need to take one initial step – contact one of our team members. From there, we go to work for you. We guide you carefully through any police interviews and advise you on when to answer questions and when not to respond.
Our criminal defense team will also argue for bail on your behalf so you can go home. Being released on bail means you can create minimal disruption to your life, family, and career. When we manage your case, we:
- Ensure your case is accurately graded
- Provide you with ongoing updates
- Negotiate a plea that limits damage
- Ensure the state acts promptly
- Examine the prosecution’s evidence against you
We also fight for accurate charges, lowered charges, reduced bail, and lighter sentences. Our goal is to have your charges dismissed whenever possible. We also fight to protect the damage of multiple convictions and limit a negative effect on any subsequent background checks.
We Treat Every Client Like a Person
Our criminal defense team understands the emotionally charged nature of potential convictions that could rob you of your freedom. When our past clients talk about our judgment-free client services team, they say:
- “Marni was a Godsend… Marni Jo has been an Angel sent to me. I will be eternally grateful for Marni Jo. She is there for the people, she cares and is compassionate, and a Beast of a Lawyer who will get you results. Hire Marni. You won’t be disappointed.” – Josie Alicea
- “My experience with Marni Snyder was a refreshing comfort. She is not only professional and intelligent, which comes across immediately, but she is also sharp-witted and quick to uncover valuable details. If anyone asks me who to call, I will give them M.J. Snyder’s number and urge them to call her.” – William Riegel
- “Marnie Jo is an outstanding defense attorney who has proven herself in multiple cases. She brings the fight that every client is looking for. I had the opportunity to see her in action plenty of times… If you want complete justice, please don’t hesitate to call her first.” – Bakir Scott
Our testimonials and reviews attest to our commitment to outstanding client service and support.
Our case results page is also filled with recent client outcomes that attest to our commitment to giving our clients a fresh start.
Contact One of Our Team Members for a Free Consultation
Are you facing assault charges and a possible conviction in Philadelphia? If you are, we can help you protect your present and your future. Find out how by calling one of the team members at the Law Offices of M.J. Snyder, LLC.