- Practice Areas
- Criminal Defense Attorney in Philadelphia
- Special Education Law
- Election Law
- General Litigation
- Contact Us
- Free Consultation
If you are facing a homicide charge, do not hesitate to contact a homicide defense lawyer serving Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Our team can ensure that you get aggressive representation throughout your case. Such representation may even help you avoid a devastating conviction.
It is always better to start defending your case as early as possible. This way, your lawyer has more time to look for evidence and implement defense strategies. At Law Offices of M.J. Snyder, LLC, we understand what it takes to defend clients in these criminal proceedings and will bring our energy and competence to your case.
What Does a Homicide Defense Lawyer Do?
There are many steps that we can take to defend our clients. While the specifics will vary from case to case, we have helped other clients by:
- Collecting evidence: We will investigate your case and find evidence that proves your innocence, shows that witnesses are incorrect or lying, or casts doubt on the prosecutor’s story.
- Suppressing the prosecution’s evidence: If the prosecution acquired any of their evidence illegally, we will fight to ensure that the judge does not allow the jury to consider it.
- Striking a plea deal: This can get you a reduced sentence, including lower fines and less prison time.
- Getting the charges reduced: For example, getting your charge reduced from first-degree murder to third will avoid the death penalty or life without parole..
- Getting the case dismissed: With a strong enough case, we can convince the judge to dismiss the charges or the prosecution to drop them.
- Representing you at trial: Our firm is not afraid to go to court. We will be your voice in the courtroom, making oral arguments and questioning witnesses on your behalf.
- Helping you make decisions: It is not always easy to decide how to handle homicide charges. We can give you the information and guidance you need to manage risk and decide how to dispose of your case.
We also offer all callers a free consultation. At no charge or obligation to you, a member of our team will tell you if our firm can assist you.
For a free legal consultation with a homicide defense lawyer serving Philadelphia, call 215-515-3360
We Look for Evidence That Will Strengthen Your Case
Law Offices of M.J. Snyder, LLC will often conduct our own, independent investigation of your case. Unlike the prosecution, which has already decided that you are guilty, we seek to help you to return to your own life as soon as possible. Evidence in your favor may include:
- Witness statements: Anyone who witnessed the homicide can confirm you did not do it. Alternatively, anyone who was with you at the time of the homicide can testify as an alibi witness that you were not at the scene of the crime.
- Character witness statements: We can call on people who know you and can testify to your good character and morals.
- Surveillance footage: A video recording of the homicide or your actions at the time of the homicide can show that you did not commit the crime.
- Fingerprint or DNA analysis: Such evidence can prove you are not the guilty party. Alternatively, if the prosecution took fingerprints or DNA, we can make sure they performed their tests legally and appropriately.
- Police reports: We will make sure that the police behaved appropriately throughout the case and, if they did not, we will suppress the evidence they collected. If they did behave appropriately, we will look for information that strengthens your defense and weakens the prosecution’s case.
Remember: the burden of proof is on the prosecution. Your lawyer does not have to prove your innocence beyond a shadow of a doubt; they only have to persuade a jury of the possibility that you are innocent. The types of evidence described above can help achieve that goal.
Philadelphia Homicide Defense Lawyer 215-515-3360
A Homicide Conviction Can Destroy Your Life
18 Pa. CSA §1101 and 1102 outline the possible penalties for a murder conviction. These include:
- A fine: Murder or attempted murder convictions come with a maximum fine of $50,000. This is true no matter your financial status or (in)ability to pay.
- Prison: You could spend decades or even the rest of your life behind bars.
- The death penalty: A first-degree murder conviction is potentially punishable by death in Pennsylvania.
These penalties will affect every aspect of your life, including but not limited to:
- Your family life: Your spouse, children, and other dependents will be left to fend for themselves. In some cases, your children may be taken from you.
- Your career: Long prison sentences can disrupt your career. Once you are released, your record may make it difficult to find a good job.
- Your mental wellbeing: The conviction itself is often devastating, and a prison sentence can have a significant negative impact on your mental and emotional health.
- Your reputation: Friends, family, and coworkers may not believe that you are innocent and refuse to associate with you.
- Your rights: According to the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections, anyone serving time for a felony cannot vote until they have completed their sentence.
In short, if you are convicted of homicide, your life will never be the same. Our attorneys at Law Offices of M.J. Snyder, LLC wants to prevent that future by protecting your rights to the fullest extent possible. The sooner you call us, the sooner we can get started on preparing your defense.
The Law Offices of M.J. Snyder, LLC Has Established Itself as a Firm You Can Trust
Our firm has been recognized by national organizations as a firm to be trusted. Marni Jo Snyder has even been named one of the top 100 trial lawyers in the country by the National Trial Lawyers.
More importantly, our clients know that Ms. Snyder will fight hard for their rights. In the words of one satisfied client, we provide “dependable and trustworthy” service to people just like you in their hour of need.
Call Our Attorneys Today for a Free Consultation
To receive a free consultation, call the Law Offices of M.J. Snyder, LLC. We can provide you with a homicide defense lawyer who serves Philadelphia and will do everything possible to protect your interests.