Being pulled over by an unmarked police vehicle in Philadelphia can be a scary experience. The aftermath – including being arrested and facing possible penalties of conviction – can be equally frightening. If the police pulled you over in an unmarked car, you might not have known what to do. If you were subsequently arrested because of your actions, we can help you fight the charges you face.
Our team can help you prove you were uncertain of the car and its occupants, felt threatened, or were looking for a safe location to pull your vehicle over. If you need assistance explaining why you did not immediately come to a stop and did not intend to evade the police officers or their vehicle, we listen to your story and help you fight the penalties of conviction in Pennsylvania.
You Have Rights If an Unmarked Police Car Pulls You Over
If a marked or unmarked police car in Philadelphia pulls you over in Philadelphia, you have the right to refuse to allow police to search you or your vehicle. If the police plan to ask you questions, they must also inform you of your Miranda rights, which include:
- Your right to remain silent
- The knowledge that anything you say might be used against you in a court of law
- Your right to a lawyer even if you cannot afford one
The police must read your rights to you before they interrogate you. If your rights are violated in any way, our team will fight to have the evidence suppressed and the charges against you dismissed. We also examine every detail of the state’s case against you for any other improprieties, inconsistencies, or rights violations that might benefit your defense.
Being Arrested on a Charge of Evading the Police
According to 18 Pa. C.S.A. § 3733, you face the possibility of being arrested for evading the police if you fail to pull over for an unmarked police car. Your arrest, though, is contingent on police officers making themselves known as police officers – even in an unmarked car. It should have mobile or portable lights and sirens that constitute a “visual and audible signal” to stop your car.
If an unmarked police vehicle pulled you over and you initially hesitated to comply, our team could help you prove the car did not have the required lights or siren. We can also show why your hesitation was valid and prove you cooperated with the police once they identified themselves as law enforcement officers.
For a free legal consultation, call 215.515.3360
Our Criminal Defense Law Firm Helps You Fight Back
Every client we represent is an individual, not another case file. When we work with you, we start by listening to the details of your arrest with compassion and understanding. We understand how anxious it can be to see lights and sirens approaching your car.
We also understand the fear it can lead to, particularly if the car is unmarked and the lights and sirens seem unfamiliar. When our team handles your criminal defense, we do the following to build your defense and help you avoid severe penalties:
- Prove your initial hesitancy was valid and warranted
- Clarify the legal process and its effect on your case
- Explain the city and state court systems
- Explain your charges and defense options
- Compile supportive evidence on your behalf
We also represent you with honesty and integrity, so we tell you everything you need to hear as part of our strategy to fight for you. We help you focus on your future while we focus on your defense. We also provide you with timely and important updates on your case and all possible resolutions.
Your Defense Is Our Team’s Priority
We work hard to build your defense and prove your actions were cautious versus evasive. The same statute that requires you to pull over for a police car – marked or not – also provides you with possible defenses to a charge of evading the police. Possible criminal defenses include:
- The unmarked car was not being driven by a uniformed police officer
- Your refusal to stop for police was rooted in good faith
- You were genuinely concerned for your personal safety
When we build your defense, we prove your concerns were valid because of the location, type of vehicle, your behavior, and the fact that you were, in fact, looking for a place to stop.
Hear From Clients Our Team Defended in the Past
Criminal defense is a sensitive area of the law, and we take the freedom of every client we represent seriously. When they tell friends, family, and the internet about our firm, they say:
- “Skilled and articulate as well as chill and relatable. When the state is against you, Marni has you.” – Jacob Chamberlain
- “Marni is the best! Very professional and responsive and answered questions to where we could understand. Highly recommend.” – Sabrina Vasquez
- “You will love Marni and everything about her. Very professional, responsive, and all around the best lawyer to have.” – Patricia Thomas
- “Marnie Jo is an outstanding defense attorney who has proven herself in multiple cases. She brings the fight that every client is looking for.” – Bakir Scott
- “I’m so happy thanks to lawyer Marni Snyder. She got me back to my family, and she [took] care everything for me.” – Agustin Rodriguez
Browse our case results page to see some of the recent sentence reductions and dismissals we have achieved for past clients. We fight as hard for you, your freedom, and your family as we have for every client we represented in the past.
Call For Your Free Consultation Today
If you or a member of your family was pulled over by an unmarked police vehicle in Philadelphia, our criminal defense team can help you fight any resulting criminal charges. Find out how hard we go to bat for you by calling one of our Law Offices of M.J. Snyder, LLC., team members at (215) 515-3360 today.